Re: [SLUG] brighthouse

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 11:56:07 EDT

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 thor_consulting@yahoo.com wrote:

> sorry about the confusion...
>
> i was just venting over the fact that i got 2 different stories from them
> about what could and couldn't be done and for how much.

I'll see your vent, and raise you a rant.

My cable provider (and I use the term loosely, to be a provider you have
to actually provide service), Shaw Cable, refuses to give me Internet
access at all. They've been waiting on a shipment of cable modems for
some time, with no indication that it's ever coming. But the kicker is,
they won't even let me buy my own modem! Perhaps offering a bribe is the
last resort, since they don't seem to actually *want* customers.

I'm too far away from the CO for DSL, and Verizon wants $105/month for
ISDN (plus $200 setup fee). Frame relay and frac T1 are, of course, way
too expensive.

No wireless providers. No satellite providers that don't have dumb
hardware/software requirements.

I'm in broadband hell.