Re: [SLUG] Linux in Appliances

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 11:36:46 EDT

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 21:45, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Actually, the big thing for me is the ability to find something in a
> book. I (like most people?) do this by feel and by sight. What did the
> page look like that I saw that on? How far into the book was it? I
> suppose this isn't very important with novels, since you mostly read
> them straight through. But with reference works, it's critical. And I've
> probably got four times the reference works lying around that I do
> fiction.

I will just never get used to ebooks. For me, a book is a visceral
thing, almost religious. (This sounds weird, but I know many people for
whom reading a book is the same kind of thing.) I like the "feel" of a
book, and it's just impossible to replicate that with plastic and
silicon. Right now anyway.

Plus, you pay $x for just the reader, then wind up usually paying about
the same amount as a paperback for each ebook, which is locked to a
specific reader with ridiculous DRM that lets you read it only under
certain conditions, etc. They're just not as practical or
cost-effective at this point, and with the way publishers and
corporations are getting insane about DRM, I don't expect them to ever
be.

Although I have seen that you can check a very few ebooks out from the
library, in some way. I've never tried, so I don't know what kind of
hoops you have to jump through; I don't expect it to be very easy.

"We all enter this world in the    | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked |        http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your     |  http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing     |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould