[SLUG] Presario 2100/Orinoco Woes

From: Joseph Gruber (jgruber@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:59:54 EDT

SLUG,

I come to you as a last resort. I have a Compaq Presario 2100US I recently
purchased as a Build to Order at BestBuy. A very nice laptop for a decent
price after rebates. Total of 600 dollars after rebates and the specs are:

AMD XP 1800
ATI Radeon Mobility U -- 64MB DDR Shared RAM (can be adjusted)
15" Screen
128MB DDR RAM (I put another 256MB DDR in for a total 384MB)
20GB Hard Drive
Onboard everything pretty much
1 PCMCIA Slot

All in all a pretty good deal. Well, I have an orinoco gold card so I can
war drive and it works perfectly in windows. I've decided I wanted to dual
boot Linux on this as well and decided on Mandrake 9.1. Mandrake doesn't
like the pcmcia slot. Takes a fair bit of tinkering around to get it to
work. I've tried other distro's as well and they all seem to have this
problem except for RedHat 9 which I know have on it.

The problem I'm having now is getting this to talk to my wirless router
(Dlink 614+). I've turned WEP off temporarily to get this working but I
can't. I've setup the ESSID using "iwconfig eth1 essid sheba". It's in
managed mode and everything seems to be setup correctly but it doesn't see
the router. Under iwconfig it shows "Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44",
which I find kinda weird. I try to get an ip using DHCP and it can't get
one. I've spent the last week trying to figure this out. I've googled my
brain out. I've spent entire days in IRC channels but it still doesn't
work. So I come to SLUG as a last resort. If anyone out there has any
experience getting an Orinoco to work on Mandrake or RedHat please let me
know what you had to do. If you specifically have done it with this
particular laptop even better!

Looking forward to the onslaught of knowledge. ;)

Joseph
jgruber@tampabay.rr.com