Re: [SLUG] Presario 2100/Orinoco Woes

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 13:57:00 EDT

Joseph Gruber wrote:
> SLUG,
>
> All in all a pretty good deal. Well, I have an orinoco gold card so I can
> war drive and it works perfectly in windows. I've decided I wanted to dual
> boot Linux on this as well and decided on Mandrake 9.1. Mandrake doesn't
> like the pcmcia slot. Takes a fair bit of tinkering around to get it to
> work. I've tried other distro's as well and they all seem to have this
> problem except for RedHat 9 which I know have on it.

It's trivial to flash a silver card to gold - and the Orinocos do have
the auto-frequency-scanning and antenna point that make them nice for
war driving. I'm more fond of Cisco and Prism2 cards though (better
driver support on the Cisco cards and HostAP mode with Prism2 cards).

> The problem I'm having now is getting this to talk to my wirless router
> (Dlink 614+). I've turned WEP off temporarily to get this working but I
> can't. I've setup the ESSID using "iwconfig eth1 essid sheba". It's in
> managed mode and everything seems to be setup correctly but it doesn't see
> the router. Under iwconfig it shows "Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44",
> which I find kinda weird. I try to get an ip using DHCP and it can't get
> one. I've spent the last week trying to figure this out. I've googled my
> brain out. I've spent entire days in IRC channels but it still doesn't
> work. So I come to SLUG as a last resort. If anyone out there has any
> experience getting an Orinoco to work on Mandrake or RedHat please let me
> know what you had to do. If you specifically have done it with this
> particular laptop even better!

That wierd MAC means that it hasn't found your Access Point (the Dlink).

If you have WEP enabled on the Dlink, disable it. There are issues with
the proprietary 256bit encryption that seems to affect WEP in general on
such devices.

Also, the 22Mbit "airplus" mode (ie, proprietary D-Link) is better left
disabled if you're using an Orinoco card to talk to it.

Your first goal should be to get it to at least see the Dlink AP -
nothing will work until you do (particularly DHCP).

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: