RE: [SLUG] Presario 2100/Orinoco Woes

From: Joseph Gruber (jgruber@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 15:18:51 EDT

> That wierd MAC means that it hasn't found your Access Point
> (the Dlink).

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I had a weird setting somewhere. ;)

> If you have WEP enabled on the Dlink, disable it. There are
> issues with
> the proprietary 256bit encryption that seems to affect WEP in
> general on
> such devices.
>
> Also, the 22Mbit "airplus" mode (ie, proprietary D-Link) is
> better left
> disabled if you're using an Orinoco card to talk to it.

I've turned off WEP temporarily so as not to make that the issue and it
still can't see the AP. The 22Mbit mode is also turned off. I found out
that was bad in Windows when I couldn't get more than 25 ft from my AP w/o
the signal dying. Turned it off and boom...instant access throughout my
house. :-D

Right now though I've got everything to the defaults. Nothing special,
channel 6, default SSID, no wep, no special features enabled...I'm an open
lunch to a war driver. LOL

Joseph