Re: [SLUG] DSL on different OSes

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 10:08:16 EDT

I'll assume you are running several machines ... "my
other Macs". So, troubleshoot layer 1 and 2 first..
(hardware, and switching). Do you have a switch in
between your DSL modem and your "router" (router being
whatever your using to share the connection? I had a
similar problem around a month ago... all my NICS
worked but would not hold a dhcp address. It turned
out that my switch was at fault. I stick with LinkSys
or DLink.. the switch I replaced was a NetGear. I
have to say that I can't recommend them due to the
problems that I've had with them in the past.

Ok, when you ping your other machines you should see
activity lights blinking. Also, make sure everything
has a link light.. backside of your NICS and on the
Switch. If everything seems ok, then go to the next
step.

Since it is your primary connection then you may need
to contact Verizon to get permission to configure your
machine manually while you troubleshoot this... if not
then use variations on your last good dhcp lease. Set
up your IP address manually on your MacOS TCP/IP panel
and try to ping 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2. If successful
then at least you know you have a connection. Now the
problem is figuring out why you are not getting a DHCP
assigned address.

My network is pretty typical for a Verizon shared
connection and looks like this:

DSL Modem -> Nic -> Linux Router -> Nic -> switch

Switch is then connected to any number of machines on
that side of the network.

I can only assume what your setup is like, so can only
point in general direction to look for possible weak
links. First step for Layer 3 and up... setup one
machine directly connected to the DSL modem and see if
it gets an address.. if not then connect a different
machine the same way... if not then it is most likely
not the Nic cards. Call Verizon and tell them to send
someone out to look at the modem... insert here lots
of frustration because they will keep you on the phone
try to do this over the phone as long as they can.

If you get a DHCP lease on your primary machine then
the problem is with your sharing setup. Here are some
questions that need to be looked at:

Are you running an internal DHCP server?
Is your internal DHCP server in conflict with the DHCP
server that Verizon is using to give you an address?
Do you have a firewall?
Is the firewall blocking IP ranges? If so, please
check config for the rules you are using.
Was the network working before whatever? or Is this
something that you are trying to install or change?

It is true that you generally have much more
flexability with Linux tools, but for basic
functionality the tools on any OS are pretty much the
same..."ping" "traceroute" "TCP,IP configuration tools
or panels".

Let us know more about how you have everything
configured and we will be able to give more specific
advice.

Good Luck
Rob

--- Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net> wrote:

> This list is provided as an unmoderated internet
> service by Networked
> Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions
> expressed in messages
> posted are those of the author and do not
> necessarily reflect the
> official policy or position of NKS or any of its
employees.