Re: [SLUG] SCO ready to clean out Linux users for $1399 per CPU

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 23:13:04 EDT

Hi All

I posted the initial comment simply because I was completely amassed at the
weeks happenings and it is only Tuesday.

My initial response to the comments which I discarded were going to link LSD
(no not the drug but then again maybe that is what the problem is) to SOC
based on location. Lacking information I returned to that old Forbes article

What SCO Wants, SCO Gets
 Daniel Lyons, 06.18.03, 12:00 PM ET
http://www.forbes.com/2003/06/18/cz_dl_0618linux.html

and I noticed a few things that I apparently had not put much thought into
before.

Things like:

Canopy companies sometimes share more than a common parent. They form joint
ventures and buy and sell one another's stock. Last November SCO formed a
joint venture called Volution with Center 7, a Canopy company. In 2000,
Caldera sold off part of its business to EBIZ Enterprises (otc: EBIZQ - news
- people ), a Texas company in which Canopy holds a controlling interest and
whose board boasts three Canopy execs, including Mott, according to SEC
filings. Previously, Caldera bought shares in two other Canopy companies,
Troll Tech and Lineo, and later wrote off the Troll Tech investment but sold
the Lineo shares at a profit, according to SEC filings. In 1999, Caldera sold
its own shares to MTI, then bought those shares back last year, according to
SEC filings.

It appears that Troll Tech -> Qt -> KDE is a Canopy company.

Volution -> Volution Client -> Linux application company

Lineo is a Linux applications company

Linux Networx and EBIZ Enterprises Sign Letter of Intent Operating Agreement
Agreement Represents First Step in Merger Between Two Leading Linux Companies
http://www.linuxnetworx.com/news/3.22.2001.0-Linux_NetworX_a.html
Another Pare of Linux companies that are part of Canopy

Center 7 Teams with Top Technology Players
  Utah Based ASP Start-up Partners with Leaders in the Industry to Provide
End-to-End Internet Solutions
Center 7, an application service provider offering end-to-end e-business
solutions, announced today it has partnered with industry leaders Oracle, Sun
Microsystems, iPlanet, Computer Associates and Vignette to design, build and
operate powerful e-business solutions.
http://www.center7.com/us/news/articles/article02

MTI appears to be a multi dimensional hardware business solutions company.

All I can say about this the more I find out the more I need a score card to
keep up with the players and as far as what the motivations are well way
beyond what I have available for research tools but from what little I have
found out it appears that The Canopy Group is a direct competitor of IBM on a
number of fronts.

This much I will add a number of years ago there was a small energy company
that many of you now have heard of called Enron. Anyway at the time I am
speaking it really was a small energy company that look like it was going
places so I did the logical thing of acquiring the company annual reports.
That is all the company's reports for one year about 20 pounds of them in at
least 5 companies. After a few hundred words I came to the conclusion that
that company was simply above my ability to understand so I left it to the
experts.

A few years go by and I one of Warren Buffett comments
"If I can't understand it, the management probable doesn't want me to
understand it. And if management doesn't want me to understand it there is
probably something wrong going on."

Trying to understand the Canopy group reminds me of my simple minded Enron
experience and Buffett adage.