Re: [SLUG] slow compaq

From: kwan@digitalhermit.com
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 18:27:49 EDT

> I have a compaq presario 7478 and it is sooooo slow. I have had the dsl
> line checked and it is clean.

[snip]
> With that much information, does anyone have an idea of how I can speed
> this thing up? Or find out why it is so slow? I mean I sit and drum my
> fingers waiting for screens to change.

Could be many things, but some stuff I'd check:

Disable all unused services by doing:

  chkconfig --list | grep :on

If you see things that don't need to be running for a desktop machine you
can turn them off with (for example with Sendmail):

  service sendmail off
  chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail off

Make sure that your name servers are properly configured. If they're not,
any internet related stuff will take a long time. X will also be slow to
start.

If possible, use a lighter weight window manager.

Also, run top and try looking for processes that either use a lot of
memory or a lot of cpu. Start top then press 'M' or 'C' to toggle.