[SLUG] slow compaq

From: Michael C Rock (mikerock01@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 18:00:56 EDT

I have a compaq presario 7478 and it is sooooo slow. I have had the dsl
line checked and it is clean.

The whole computer is slow and is running Redhat 8.0 and is upto date
with updates.

I have ide-cd R/RW 4x4x24
            an ide hd WD300AA Geom. 3877/240/63
        3Com 3c59x 100BaseTX (Cyclone)
        Trident Cyberblade (generic) video card
        I don't know the motherboard information
        384K ram
        too much swap at 780000K
        My Video driver is vesa I could not find what was best for the Compaq
MV920 monitor.

With that much information, does anyone have an idea of how I can speed
this thing up? Or find out why it is so slow? I mean I sit and drum my
fingers waiting for screens to change.

Michael C. Rock