Re: [SLUG] slow compaq

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 18:21:31 EDT

On 21 Aug 2003, Michael C Rock wrote:

> I have ide-cd R/RW 4x4x24
> [...]
> 384K ram

Well, there's your problem. Even my Apple ][gs had more RAM than that.

Anyway... have you explored with top, vmstat, ps, etc. to get an idea of
whether you have a process eating up memory or CPU? If it's primarily a
GUI speed issue, make sure you're using the right X server for your
hardware, or switch video cards if the one you have sucks (some cards
can't run in accelerated mode, or are just slow period).

Has it always been this slow, or has something changed? Sometimes various
memory-related BIOS settings can really make a system crawl; I used to
have an old Gateway P5 as a desktop at work, and there was some kind of
memory setting (to do with parity checking, wait states, something I
dunno) that was incorrect. The machine slowed down by a factor of 100 at
least, and worked great once I corrected the setting.

You're gonna have to do some investigation and narrow things down.