Re: [SLUG] winswap as linux swap

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 02:02:06 EDT

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, savatage wrote:

> Also be advised that if you are using over 2 to 2.5 times your ram size for
> swap you are actually not going to gain any
> significant speed.
>
> 64 meg ram = 128 -160 meg swap
> 128 meg ram = 256 - 320 meg swap
> 256 meg ram = 512 - 640 meg swap etc.

I question the absoluteness of that rule of thumb.

free:
             total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 775496 753896 21600 0 24304 583856
-/+ buffers/cache: 145736 629760
Swap: 401616 80884 320732

uptime:
  1:51am up 1 day, 8:09, 12 users, load average: 1.00, 1.04, 1.08

As you see, I have about 400MB swap, and 768MB RAM, so swap space is about
half the RAM size. Since about 80MB of swap space is used (I have 21
windows in X right now, and among them are Opera, Netscape and VMware), I
could easily have much less than 400MB available and it wouldn't affect
the computer's operation.

If you're up longer, or run more or hungrier apps, then sure, I can see
needing more swap space. Netscape used to have a memory leak; I saw it
get over 100MB used at one point. That can increase your swap usage too.

IMO, 2x (or whatever) RAM is useful only as a starting point; the user can
watch swap usage thereafter and get a feel for it, then adjust it
accordingly (if not on that system, then on the next).

CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...
but you know they're lying.  If I were you, I'd lock my doors and
windows and never never never never leave my house again.  -- Weird Al