RE: [SLUG] which laptop

From: Andrew M Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 01:06:46 EDT

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Eben King wrote:

> > The Sony VAIO GRT series is supposed to be 100% linux compatible.

> That's good, as one of them (the PCG-Z1RAP3) has an exceptionally long
> (up to 13H) battery life. Presumably that's with additional brand-new
> batteries, HD spun down, screen saver on, ...

I have an extreme distaste for Sony laptops; I have a PCG-F430 that began
falling apart a couple of years after I bought it. First the LCD went a
bit wonky (the image would "scramble" and magically repair itself if the
lid was massaged just right, probably a bad cable or connector), then
various pieces began coming loose (the folding door in the rear covering
the ports, among others). Overall it felt very cheap and plastic-y. If
you're wondering why I bought it in the first place, I got an excellent
price on it ("seemed like a good idea at the time" kind of thing).

And I tend to baby my laptops excessively.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth. Maybe I got a lemon, maybe it was
just that model. This was a few years ago.

Come to think of it, I have a Sony stereo receiver that's half dead too.
Guess I haven't had much luck with them.