Re: [SLUG] {Virus?} Re: Details

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 15:43:11 EDT

On Monday 01 September 2003 10:20, Steven Buehler wrote:
> --- Frank Roberts - SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 01 September 2003 00:10, savatage wrote:
> > > That is a virus it's self they will never send you a .txt file attach
> > > for

> > > virus notification!!!!
> > > YOu open the fake.txt file and blam you got the virus or worm!
>
> If you are a *smart* Windows user and set up your system to show file
> extensions for registered file types, you'd see "fake.txt.vbs" or
> "fake.txt.scr" or "fake.txt.pif" instead of just "fake.txt" and know
> immediately what the file REALLY is.
>
> That, or you install Norton Antivirus on your computer with daily virus
> updates. Our company uses McAfee, which sucks (Norton found 750 copies of
> the same virus on my laptop that McAfee did NOT find).
>
> SWB

All what this indicates is that you can fake file names it does not negate my
position that a txt file will not convey a virus.

If you set up a set up your e-mail reader correct you only accept txt files.
Html, vbs, scr, and pifis are all converted to txt which is not an executable.

I say correct above in terms of computer usage. I can recall trying to explain
that to some marketing types in a marketing meeting. To them correct meant
that email would flash, dance, and sing. When I tried to explain about
viruses they wanted to through me out of the 6 floor window for talking
sacrilege.

Frank