Re[2]: [SLUG] Orinoco Wireless Cards

From: mars03 (mars03@mail15.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 12:06:40 EDT

Hello Eric,

EJ> I guess I would be able to switch off the 802.11g part until years from
EJ> now when there is a driver??? There's only a few dollard difference
EJ> between the cards, so I figure I might as well get it...

EJ> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 19:20, Ian Blenke wrote:
>> Eric Jahn wrote:
>> > Would there be any reason to get the Gold versus the Classic Gold
>> > wireless card? I've read the Classic Gold has an external antennae
>> > port...but other than the Gold having support for 802.11b/g I can't see
>> > any difference. Thanks!
>>
>> 802.11b, sure. That's the Orinoco driver. But 802.11g? I'm not sure
>> about chipset support for this under Linux.
>>
>> You can flash older silver cards to gold cards with the correct
>> firmware. Some APs that used the Orinoco cards actually would
>> auto-upgrade the firmware on a Silver card.
>>
>> Me? I'm a fan of old school cheap Prism2 cards (I've learned to love the
>> hostap driver) or Cisco Aironet cards. Had I the budget to buy new toys,
>> I'd like to have some of the newer chipsets to play with as well.

EJ> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
EJ> This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
EJ> Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
EJ> posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
EJ> official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

As far as I know this won't work. The card is still a 802.11g card and
there aren't drivers for linux yet. I bought a linksys wmp54g card,
and had no joy. I went out and got a Dlink DWL-520+, and it works
great.
There are no drivers for .11g for a couple of reasons.
1 the 11.g
chipset makers (namely Broadcom) won't release any info, so a driver
will have to be reverse enginered from win drivers.
2. From what i've read, 11.g radio's can be modified to
transmit/recieve on other frequencies, namely military (and iirc
police bands aswell) and the military wouldn't be to hapy for joe user
to be able to muck about with there transmitions.
After this info became known it really gave a jumpstart to hackers to
comeup with an open source driver.
Wish i had a link for you guys to read, but this is info I've picked
up after researching for my 11.g card.

--
Best regards,
 mars03                            mailto:mars03@mail15.com