Re: [SLUG] ESR & Perens United? Wow.

From: Matt Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 09:26:46 EDT

Thus spake Paul M Foster on the 09 day of the 09 month in the year 2003:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:00:19PM -0400, Matt Moen wrote:
> > http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/09/09/2355214.shtml?tid=11
> >
> > Last I knew, these two gentleman at best disliked each other, and at
> > worst detested one another. It's amazing how unifying a mutual
> > arch-enemy can be.
> Where did you hear this? I've heard that ESR and RMS hate each other,
> but not Perens and Raymond.

When I did a quick google for "perens esr" I got several articles
including this one from slashdot:

Things were hardly rosy between the two of them then.

Perhaps time has mended things, and additionally, something bigger has
come up that's caused the FSF and OSI folks to stop bickering for a
while and deal with a larger issue. Essentially, they're fighting for
the very notion of the Open Source/Free Software big picture, and not
their finer ideological differences.

It's something like fighting tooth and nail with your little brother
most of the time, except when the schoolyard bully starts picking on
your brother. At that point, you stop bickering, collectively stand
united, pummel said bully if left with no other options, and go back to
punching your little brother in the arm the following day.

--
Matthew Moen

Outlook is as attractive to email viruses as a heap of dead and rotting cows is to a fly. So long as that maggot-filled pile of corpses is there, swatting at the flies isn't going to work. Alan Bellingham, SDM ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.