Re: [SLUG] Linux printing

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 10:56:26 EDT

--- Scott Piper <piper@ij.net> wrote:
> Do you have an /etc/printcap file? - in your case there should be a line
>
> HPDeskJet:
>
> Other than that, if it is a WindowsXP machine, you may have to set cups
> up to use the guest account (as I had to do when printing to an XP home
> edition machine)

You can set up LPR as a service on a WinXP box by installing "Unix Print
Services" from the Windows Setup CD. Then you'd just set up linux to print
to (in my case) lpr://192.168.1.100/deskjet5550 . No special accounts
required. The actual print processor would be on the sending computer's
side.

SWB

=====

Steven W. Buehler | swbuehler@yahoo.com