Re: [SLUG] serious distro comparisions

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 10:52:33 EDT

>> What code in red hat (9 for example) is actually written/modified
>> by red hat. Don't they just grab other people's code and slap it in
>> a nice pretty package? If so how can one distro be more bloated than
>> another?

   Several Red Hat employees write important features in all LINIX distro's.
The ATA mommy board chip set support is a very important aspect. I bought a
mommy board with a new chip set that my version of Slackware didn't support
and I was PIO for almost a year, until Slackware caught up. ( I now have
serial ATA support - with kernel 2.4.21 )
   I quietly read about folks buying Red Hat, I am glad someone is supporting
them, I can't afford to, I must get Slackware free, for now. I have bought
about 4 CD sets ($34.95) in the past, I hope to do it again in the future
to help support Slackware. I am just a user, no more. BTW the X-system
is not LINUX. X was written by MIT and it will run over DOS, windows or
anything else. I do not know about the pay of the Red Hat programmers
I assume they are employees.

--
          73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% Slackware LINUX since 7-97 (still free!) SENT D&T are UTC