Re: [SLUG] Will upgrading from stable to testing (Debian) install the proper modules?

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (MrPeaceful@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 23:26:33 EDT

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 21:40, Michael Manchester wrote:
> If I upgrade from stable to testing. Will the upgrade
> process also install any modules I need? I tried to
> run sndconfig today it said something about my kernel
> not supporting modules. When I tried to just upgrade
> the kernal my ethernet (pcmcia) card was no longer
> detected. I'm thinking maybe since the previous kernal
> didn't need modules the kernal upgrade didn't update
> the modules.
>
> Any insite into this would be appricated.
> Mike M.
>
> P.S.
> Please excuse me if this posts twice I don't see my
> post from this morning so I thought I'ld try again.
>

> =====
> http://shopping.yahoo.com

Not sure if this is part of the solution you're looking for (I'm not
sure what the testing version of debian uses in terms of kernel) but
having just compiled a new kernel on my Red Hat machine, this is fresh
in my head. You may need to upgrade your mod-init-utils, as this caused
some difficulty with my own module situation. Also, if you're upgrading
your modutils, you also should change your modules.conf file to a new
modprobe.conf file, which works with the new modutils and the new
kernels.

Caveat: Be careful before/when upgrading modutils, some kernels don't
like it at all and life gets *very* frustrating when your modutils stop
working.

Tyler

--
Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to
be at