Re: [SLUG] Will upgrading from stable to testing (Debian) install the proper modules?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 18:46:13 EDT

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 06:40:30PM -0700, Michael Manchester wrote:

> If I upgrade from stable to testing. Will the upgrade
> process also install any modules I need? I tried to
> run sndconfig today it said something about my kernel
> not supporting modules. When I tried to just upgrade
> the kernal my ethernet (pcmcia) card was no longer
> detected. I'm thinking maybe since the previous kernal
> didn't need modules the kernal upgrade didn't update
> the modules.

An update/upgrade will only upgrade packages you already have installed.
If dependencies change (as in, a package you've installed add a new
dependency), you'll probably get a notice and the option to determine if
you want to download the additional dependency. I doubt the kernel will
upgrade, though, unless you specify that you want that. Kernels have so
many versions and variations under Linux that I'd imagine apt/dpkg won't
mess with it unless explicitly told to. But then, I've been wrong
before. ;-}

Paul