Re: [SLUG] Registrant for domains

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 20:41:31 EDT

It makes more business sense for you as the service provider to register the
domain in your name to have control for administrative purposes. To keep your
customers from thinking you have stolen anything, your written service
agreement should spell out that the customer owns the domain while you have
control as registrant to provide your service (reasons 1 through 4). At the
end of the business relationship, when the contract expires, you will sign
over the domain registration to the customer.

It works much the same as assigning copyright. A book publisher takes over
legal ownership/control of the copyright for purposes of publication,
distribution, and sales. Everybody knows it's the author's book, but the
publisher has control in order to do the grunt work. At the end of the
business relationship, usually after a set time, copyright reverts back to
the author, who can then take his book to other publishers.

You registering customers' domains in your name is just like customers
turning over their cars keys at Tire Kingdom. The shop knows cutomers won't
sky out and stiff them because they keep the keys until the customer pays.
Your name on the registration provides you a similar measure of insurance
that your customers will pay their invoices on time.