[SLUG] Registrant for domains

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 22:22:31 EDT

Here's a question for those of you who register domains for other
people: Do you register your customers' domains in your name or in
theirs?

In the past, I've registered domains in my name for several reasons:

1) I don't want them getting "Move your domain!" or the like snail mail
at their office. It will alarm them, and I'll have to handle them when
they call me about it. I get a lot of this mail, and I know what's valid
and what's not.

2) I don't want the registrar sending them an invoice or anything that
tells them how much the registration cost. (I charge them more than if
they did it themselves.)

3) I don't want them getting emails from registrars and the other kinds
of spam you get when you're a registrant. See #1 above.

4) When it comes time to renew, I don't want the registrar sending them
a notice that they promptly ash can. Better I get the notice. I've got
reminder systems set up to notify me before the registrar does.

The problem with registering the domain in my name is that if they find
out, they could rightfully complain that I've "stolen" the ownership of
their domain. Technically, I _do_ own the domain. In truth, regardless
of what an ass a customer or how much money they owe me, I would
transfer the domain to them if asked. (Of course, they'd have to
maintain the registration from that point on.)

But the question remains, what's standard practice in this area? Do you
register domains in the customer's name or in your own? Why?

Paul