Re: [SLUG] Registrant for domains

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 22:33:53 EST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:22:31PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Here's a question for those of you who register domains for other
> people: Do you register your customers' domains in your name or in
> theirs?
>
> In the past, I've registered domains in my name for several reasons:

<snip>

Thanks to all who replied. It appears the concensus from those who
actually register domains for clients is that registering them in your
name is the wisest move. FWIW, I have had clients get snail and email
about renewals and call me, worried. Then I have to do research to find
out if their concerns are justified. A real time-waster. I feel bad
about owning their domains, but I imagine it's better than having the
customer at risk because of their own mis-handling of things.

I suppose one solution is to have a contract with the customer which
specifies under what conditions I'll turn over their domain. All the
sites we've built so far are handshake deals. But as I move forward, it
would probably be a good idea to have a contract for them to sign.

Paul