Re: [SLUG] SuSE 9 and apt

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 01:32:40 EST

On Saturday 25 October 2003 23:22, Jason Pratt wrote:
> On Friday 24 October 2003 22:59, you wrote:
> > There is new apt-get for SuSE 9.0  The old one will not work with
> > 8.2 or older.  You can get it here:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/apt4rpm/9.0
> >
> > You might want to think of joining the SuSE mailong list also.
>
> Yeah I grabbed and installed:
>
> apt-0.5.5cnc6-rb6.i586.rpm
> apt4rpm-0.65.2-0.noarch.rpm
> apt-libs-0.5.5cnc6-rb6.i586.rpm
> lua-5.0-rb3.i586.rpm
>
> installed those and then ran in the console:
> rpm -qa | grep -E "^apt-0"
>
> which did not return "apt-0.5.x..." or anything.. just a clean new
> prompt :)

Ummmm...You don't need to install all of those files unless it is your
intention to set up a repository. Just apt should be sufficient.

What is it that you are looking for with the rpm | grep command?
A simple "rpm -q apt" should show you the program is installed.

Just open a terminal while you are on-line and type apt-get update
apt will then compare what is on your hard drive to what is in the
repository and make note of it in the apt files. If you get that far,
and you should, write back on the list and I will give you some tips
and tricks for upgrading your files. (hopefully not the ones that get
me in trouble from time to time)

I would also suggest that you get the faq and the howto and look them
over. Don't remember the URL exactly but is apt4rpm at soureceforge.

Bob s.