Re: [SLUG] How do I find...

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 01:36:45 EDT

On Friday 24 October 2003 01:57, Eben King wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Bob Stia wrote:
> > How do I find out what package a file/driver?? is in? All rpm's.
> > SuSE 8.2, kde3.1.4
> >
> > Examples:
> > libgimp-1.2.so.0
> > libgimpui-1.2.so.0
>
> For RPMs that you have, and if you have the space to blow, copy them
> all to the hard drive. Then, search them with something like
> for file in * ; do
> rpm -qlp $file | grep -q search_term && echo $file
> done
>
> or, go to rpmfind.net or freshrpms.net and see what you can search
> on. I know rpmfind.net lets you search for RPMs containing a
> particular file.
>
> or, ask a friendly geek. I have
>
> /usr/lib/libgimp-1.2.so.0
> /usr/lib/libgimp-1.2.so.0.0.3
> /usr/lib/libgimpui-1.2.so.0
> /usr/lib/libgimpui-1.2.so.0.0.3
>
> (among others) in gimp-1.2.3-9.i386.rpm . It sucks that SANE
> ('Standard Apple Numerical Environment'? Ain't acronym overloading
> fun?) wants you to install Gimp.

Eben,Eric,Kwan,Douglas,

Thanks for all of your replies.

Eben's friendly geek list made me go looking in /usr/lib. Seems I have
the following files:

libgimp-1.3.so.19
libgimp-1.3.so.19.0.0
libgimpui-1.3.so.19
libgimpui-1.3.so.19.0.0

I guess, because I have: gimp-1.3.19-SuSE.ulb.1
So it seems that Sane is looking for older packages than I have.

So what to do. Evidently I upgraded Gimp before reinstalling Sane.
I guess that is what I get for trying to have the "latest & greatest"
Can I fool sane by renaming the files and then change them back again?

Bob S.

PS Personally I like.... Stand-Alone-Nervewracking-Experiences. (SANE)