Re: [SLUG] SuSE 9 and apt

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 07:20:39 EDT

Eric Jahn wrote:

>BTW is Suse 9 worth upgrading from 8.2?

Yes.

I got a review copy of 9.0 Pro two weeks ago, finally got a chance to
install it yesterday. Prettier, cleaner, YAST integrated better with
KDE, smoother install routines -- and my Winmodem works without any
finagling or CLI work, right out of the box. ACPI is also fully
operative on my Toshiba laptop without any additional work. Very nice!

Since the version I have is pre-release, I hope the following two
problems are solved in the version they start shipping soon:

- "My network neighborhood" (SMB) segfaults every time I try to open it.
- Parallel port not detected at all, so no printing on my sturdy HP 940c

These are the only bugs I've spotted so far.

I have a couple of quarrels with their default software choices, but
that's personal preference more than anything else, i.e. the lack of
Mozilla email (which is great from 1.2 on, and SuSE 9 has 1.4) in favor
of KMail, which I have never liked very much. But this is no big deal.
The software I prefer is all there, and YAST makes it easy-as-Windows to
install (and as long as you stick to SuSE "official" packages, of
course, you will never have a dependency problem).

Overall, I am very happy with SuSE 9. I'm sure I'll be able to solve the
parallel port problem with a little help from Smart People as soon as I
have time to mess with it.

- Robin