Re: [SLUG] What to do with redhat going away?

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 14:37:27 EST

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Seth Hollen wrote:

> I currently have 2 servers running rh linux (7.3 and 9). With redhat going
> away has anyone have thoughts on a distro to swtich to?

RedHat isn't going away, they're just going commercial. You can always
buy RHEL.

But, lots of people are happy with Debian.

> I am still confused where fedora linux fits into the picture. It is my
> understanding that they will be releasing "desktop" versins of redhat???
> Can I "upgrade to fedora"??

http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html

Reading between the lines, it seems like Fedora is to RHEL as Darwin is to
OS X, sort of. In other words, they will leverage community development
and shake out new technologies in Fedora, a stable release of which is
then incorporated into RHEL as a commercial product. But Fedora itself is
not a formally supported distribution -- it's just out there if you want
to use it.

If you're a sophisticated enough user to do your own tech support and
patch maintenance, running Fedora in production should certainly be
possible, although from a business perspective I would probably buy RHEL
for the official blessing.

> I am playing with debian but am still not 100% comfortable with it. I am
> going to try Suse again, but I remember a few years ago not liking their
> file structure.

SuSE was just acquired by Novell it seems, so things might be changing
there as well.