Re: [SLUG] Novell, Linux and SuSE

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 21:07:36 EST

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 18:48, Paul M Foster wrote:

> My question is, why run Netware on top of Linux? Why would I need
> Netware when I have Linux? Can't I build a server-based network out of
> readily available Linux-based programs? And if so, what would I want
> Netware for?

To support the (tens of?) thousands of sites, making up at least
hundreds of thousands of computers, if not millions, that are still
dependent on Netware.

I know at least two large (I mean _large_) installations in the Bay Area
that have at least a couple tens of thousands of computers, all running
on Netware networks. At least one of which has an IT department that is
trying to push migration to all-windows while the CxOs are pushing
harder back because they see the two or three extra zeros at the end of
the IT budget if it happens. (Which is why IT wants it...)

Being able to run Netware on top of linux would be a great boon to these
companies as they would be able to a) more cheaply support and extend
their existing Netware requirements, and b) more cheaply and easily
migrate off of Netware into Linux-based Samba networks, and probably
other freely-available technologies to replace the Novell junk they're
using now.

If they're not running on Netware directly, at the very least maybe
Novell can get them to run on SuSE and still get some revenue. Better a
piece of a smaller pie than watching the whole pie triple in size and
all go to Microsoft.

"We all enter this world in the    | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked |        http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your     |  http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing     |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould