Re: [SLUG] What to do with redhat going away?

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 23:55:44 EST

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Christopher Hotchkiss wrote:

> Fedora however is going to be for BETA testing.

Objective #10 from <http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html>:

"Produce robust releases approximately 2-3 times per year, using a
time-based release model: A time for a feature freeze is set in advance,
and an expected schedule for test releases is produced before the feature
freeze date. (Important feature schedules will be taken into account when
setting the schedule for Fedora Core releases.)"

For obvious reasons we don't yet have a past history of reliability to
judge by. But it seems to me RedHat has honest intentions of making
Fedora reliable and useable; after all, being that it's the core of RHEL
going forward, it would be in their best interest to do so.

> I would recommending switching to either Gentoo, Debian, and FreeBSD.

All great choices too. But I think people are writing off Fedora a little
too quickly on the basis of rumor rather than fact.