Re: [SLUG] Novell, Linux and SuSE

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 09:20:42 EST

>From my perspective I see this as a very positive
thing. Netware's main pull to most corporations as
well as MIS/IT is Enterprise Management. From my
understanding Novell Directory Services (NDS) is
similar in functionality to say Microsoft's Active
Directory Services but easier to manage and
maintain. I have seen companies switch over to a
pure Microsoft network yet keep Novell Servers at
the top of the domain to make it easier to manage
the Enterprise as well as trusts within the OUs
(Domains and whatnot). Two of the most critical
features that get companies to buy products usually
rely on Control (Enterprise Management) and Support
(who's bum is on the line when things go wrong) and
this is one of the reasons that RedHat is making it
into the corporate market. I believe Novell sees
this and realizes this is something they can sell to
large companies and IT shops. Lets not forget that
Novell has the name already in the Industry and this
is a good way to get Linux in the door. Just like
Microsoft offering a complete Server and Desktop OS
line, now Novell can as well. Many people seem to
think its money that drives the corporate purchasing
but its actually more along the lines of costs.
Companies pay Microsoft for Exchange Server when
they hardly use half the capabilities it offers and
its not the best solution for them. They do this
because MicroSoft has marketed that this is exactly
what they need and will save them money in the long
run. You and I know this is not true, but they have
been sold this and believe this to be true. I
believe that with names like Novell and IBM pushing
Linux, you will see a re-evaluation of what the
costs are. I'm sure there are some negatives out
there and believe me when I say that I am usually
the conspiracy theorist and not the optimist but I
think (and hope) this will be a great boon to the
Linux cause. Just my $0.01 (damn taxes :)

Pace

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
president, or that we are to stand by the president,
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
(1918) Theodore Roosevelt
26th President of the United States of America

P.S. Please pardon any spelling or grammatical
errors but I am typing this from a web client with
some limited features :)