Re: [SLUG] Suse ISOs here!

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 14:41:40 EST

jeff wrote:
> Derek Glidden wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 22:10, Aaron Steimle wrote:
>
>>> One note, last time I read it ( about 8.1 release ago) it clearly stated
>>> you could install on all computer that were within the household and I
>>> believed mentioned something to the nature of family members also. The
>>> license now doesn't seem to mention that anymore. It is also not clear
>>> what the restriction are in term of how many if many at you can install
>>> on your personal computer. I not even sure if I am allowed to install it
>>> on 2 of my personal machines.
>>

>> I can clarify; I got to hear a SuSE guy at Linuxworld explain their
>> current license:
>>
>> one license, one computer
>>
>> I don't necessarily like it, but it's their software...

I think Derek is correct here.

> I think that that only pertains to the boxed edition because of third
> party software that isn't GPL. There is nothing (that I have seen
> anyway) that prevents anyone from performing an ftp install, but note
> that there are no proprietary packages on the ftp sites, only GPL stuff.

We've been through this before on the list, I believe. SuSE's installer
is licensed and is not GPLed - without the installer, the distribution
doesn't do you much good really.

AFAIK, the SuSE CD image from which you can install it to a harddrive is
a commercial distro that cannot be legally copied due to their
copyrighted installer and licensing arrangement. The SuSE "live CD"
image can *probably* be copied until your heart's content, but it
doesn't install to a harddrive.

Use Debian or one of the many 100% GPLed Linux distributions if you're
worried about corporate greed. Ignore all of this nonsense. ;)

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: