Re: [SLUG] Local Timeserver

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 22:15:01 EST

> I have a machine at work which is periodically connected to the internet
> via dial-up. One of its functions when it comes up is to check the
> internet timeservers and reset its system clock. I'd like to use this
> machine as a reference clock for the other machines on the lan, perhaps
> having them query it once a day to reset their clocks. Otherwise, the
> system clocks seem to slip quite a bit.
>
> My question is: what program (hopefully one that comes with Debian) can
> be run as a daemon on the server to make it appear to be a time server
> to the rest of the lan? Note: I don't need a program that _asks_ what
> the time is. ntp and ntpdate do that. I need a program that will _serve_
> up the time to other machines on the lan. Any takers?

ntpd is the server portion. In some older distros it may be called xntpd.
Configuration info can be found here:

http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/ntp.htm

If you install the standard ntp package the ntpd should be part of it. It
should also install some extensive docs in html format.

--
The Digital Hermit      Unix and Linux Solutions
http://www.digitalhermit.com