Re: [SLUG] Local Timeserver

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 22:17:38 EST

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Paul M Foster wrote:

> My question is: what program (hopefully one that comes with Debian) can
> be run as a daemon on the server to make it appear to be a time server
> to the rest of the lan? Note: I don't need a program that _asks_ what
> the time is. ntp and ntpdate do that. I need a program that will _serve_
> up the time to other machines on the lan. Any takers?

xntp (which is the most common implementation of NTP) can certainly act as
a server. You just have to configure it that way.

Alternatively, the ancient BSD "time" service will also work, albeit with
a much lower degree of precision and reliability. It probably exists as
"timed" on your system, if installed.

Here's the ntp.conf from my home network NTP server. Network numbers have
been sanitized, and remember, always check the NTP server lists on the web
to ensure that you can use a given server before adding it to your config
file (all the below servers were open access at the time I set this up):

--8< snip--
server time.apple.com
server ntp-1.cso.uiuc.edu
server clock.nyc.he.net
server ntp-2.vt.edu
server ntp.cmr.gov
server fartein.ifi.uio.no
server ntp.tuxfamily.net
server ntp2.kansas.net
server molecule.ecn.purdue.edu
driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift

broadcast 192.168.XXX.255
broadcast 192.168.YYY.255
--8< snip--

NTP clients on the LAN can either point statically to the NTP server's
address, or simply listen for broadcasts and they'll figure it out
automagically.

You can also set this up with multicast but I haven't ever bothered to try
it.