Re: [SLUG] Dell ditches India for Tech Support

From: levi@bard.sytes.net
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 11:19:49 EST

> Find this article at:
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/11/24/dell.call.centers.ap/index.html

> Some U.S. customers have complained that the Indian technical-support
> representatives are difficult to communicate with because of thick accents
> and scripted responses.
>
> Tech support for corporate customers with Optiplex desktop and Latitude
> notebook computers will instead be handled from call centers in Texas,
> Idaho and Tennessee, Dell spokesman Jon Weisblatt said Monday.
>
> "They're extremely polite, but I call it sponge listening -- they just
> soak it in and say, 'I can understand why you're angry,' but nothing
> happens," Kronk said.

I don't see how they think that moving call centers to Texas and Tennessee
is going to fix these problems. They'll still have thick accents and be
difficult to understand ("Y'all gah re stawl wen ders."). They'll still
be poorly trained and have scripted responses and perform sponge listening
- these things are inherent in the nature of basic phone tech support. Of
course, being americans, they'll no longer be extremely polite...