Re: [SLUG] Dell ditches India for Tech Support

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 11:01:23 EST

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 levi@bard.sytes.net wrote:

> I don't see how they think that moving call centers to Texas and Tennessee
> is going to fix these problems. They'll still have thick accents and be
> difficult to understand ("Y'all gah re stawl wen ders.").

Having had conversations with quite a few Indian people and heard just
about every American accent there is, I think that for Americans, the
typical Indian accent is far more difficult to understand. If for no
other reason than many have never heard it before, whereas most are
familiar with a Southern drawl.

And anyway, the thickest accents are to be found in the most rural areas,
and those people are unlikely to be working in a phone support center.

> They'll still be poorly trained and have scripted responses and perform
> sponge listening - these things are inherent in the nature of basic
> phone tech support.

I think the basic complaint was that Indian call centers were *all* "level
1" support of the type you describe -- with a basic inability to escalate
problems on top of the communication difficulties.

All the politeness in the world doesn't help if the problem can't be
resolved.