Re: [SLUG] New HCC SysAdmin AS degree

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 23:22:26 EST

Regarding HCC, if you are a Florida resident you will pay the
resident fee for tuition. A 3-credit course, which is typical,
will cost about $165 - $170 for each course, each lasting a
full semester. There IS NO additional lab fee. That figure
is the full cost. There is a very small student activity fee,
maybe $20 or so. Books are additional, of course.

SPC, AFAIK, charges a similar amount for tuition, and HAS
the additional labfee. I have heard it justified that they
have a large investment in hardware. I have also heard it
claimed that a "lab fee" can be a backdoor method of
actually having a tuition increase which is not something
they can do directly.

I am not a SPC student so what I have heard about them is
probably best called hearsay.

However both Patty and I ARE students at HCC right now,
so our info is current. I can tell you that in the Unix Admin
course, you will learn a lot of material, currently using
RH and some Solaris.

The course is taught in a classroom with Dell HW and
you get a removable drive which is yours for the semester,
and you can access the classroom during the day when it
is not being used, or use your harddisk in the open lab,
which is open to 2200 weekdays and days Sa-Su. where
machines are available. You just cannot take the HD
away from the classroom or lab. Many courses are
given in evening hours, as well, for those who are
still working (IT people actually working?? cool..).

Bob