Re: [SLUG] New HCC SysAdmin AS degree

From: John Gould (johng3@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 00:23:03 EST

Coming from someone else who just finished Admin 1 and is (now)
pursuing the SysAdmin degree along with the Cisco Networking AS, my
cost per term, including books, is averaging about $1100. Without
exception, it is worth every penny. Every instructor has been
knowledgeable and passionate about their subjects, personable, and
very approachable. Mr. Pollock also has worked very hard to get this
degree written and approved.

HCC knows what it is. It is a Community College, and takes very
seriously the Community aspect. I lost my job I had worked at for
nearly 7 years as a Firewall Engineer when the company I worked for
went belly up. When I am done here, I will (hopefully) have gained 2
AS degrees, and the knowledge and skills to get quite a few certs
(CCNA, A+, and some *nix cert, haven't decided which yet, and even an
MCP) to hopefully get a solid job to support my family when I am done.

I could never have done it for the cost I am paying anywhere else. The
Cisco lab in and of itself will be worth it for the hands on
experience. Mr. Pollock is an incredible resource in and of his own
knowledge and experience, which he shares freely.

When I am all done, I will have paid the equivalent of an MSCE boot
camp and a half, with real knowledge of what I worked on.

That seems like a hell of a value to me.

Now I just need to get all my projects done by thursday for Admin 1... :)