Re: (FWD) RE : [SLUG] Required fields in PHP (!STAMP:040218210218:25|)

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 10:37:05 EST

On Feb 18, 2004, at 10:12 PM, Paul M Foster wrote:

> I'm not opposed to the use of challenge-response email systems; I just
> think you need to read _all_ the instructions before you put the dang
> things together (fathers at Christmas, take note ;-).

Challenge-response, so far, is about the most effective way of avoiding
spam. But, like you've discovered, a lot of people don't know how to
set it up and it tends to annoy the heck out of mailing lists. That's
always the biggest complaint with people when you start talking about
challenge-response systems.

And let's not forget the fact that there are patents covering "method
for using a challenge-response system for restricting reception of
unsolicited email" from all sorts of places, including one granted Feb
10, 2004 to IBM. But that's a whole other rant...

> With respect to our lists, I'm not sure what to do about this type of
> thing. I can imagine it could get pretty annoying for list members. And
> I can also imagine we'll see more of this in the future. We could
> either
> uns*bscr*be people with instructions on how they can fix their dang
> email clients, or suffer through it, or something else. I'm open to
> suggestions.

I'm for the idea of un-sub them with a form-letter saying, "You are
trying to use a challenge-response anti-spam system with our mailing
list. Please whitelist the mailing list address (xxxx@yyy.zzz) with
your anti-spam software and re-sub to the list. Sorry for the
inconvenience."

"We all enter this world in the | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked | http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your | http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould