Re: [SLUG] Wireless network problem possibly DHCP?

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 21:53:29 EST

On Monday 23 February 2004 10:53 am, Ian Blenke wrote:
> This really sounds like a DHCP server misconfiguration, or a DHCP client
> problem.
>
> I'm guessing that you have a commercial off the shelf wireless access
> point that is providing the DHCP leases for your home network.

Yes I have a Linksys WAPC11 wireless access point and my router is a Linksys
BEFSR11 router.

> Can you look at a packet dump of the lease that your client is receiving
> to see if there is a routers option for your default gateway?

I would if I knew how. What tool could I use.

> If the lease contains a default gateway, then your wireless
> workstation's DHCP client is not adding the default route correctly.

> If the lease does not contain a default gateway, then your wireless
> access point's DHCP server is misconfigured.

Well my wife has a win 98 laptop running the same wireless usb nic. Hers
works perfect and in fact if I boot my laptop in win 98 it works just fine
too. I think it is in the config of my linux wireless.

> What shows up in your system logs when the lease is obtained?
What log is this in and I'll look.