Re: [SLUG] Error enabling swap device

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 22:13:49 EST

> I get the following error
> Error enabling swap device hda3: Invalid argument
> when I try to install RH 9 on a HP 7100 laptop. I
> used to have RH 8 on it, but never used it. I got
> RH 9 and decided to put it on there. I did not
> check the HD or anything else I just fired it up
> and starting putting 9 on.

Try doing:

Verify that /dev/hda3 is indeed a swap partition:
  fdisk -l /dev/hda

You should see a line similar to this:
/dev/hda5 13 152 1124518+ 82 Linux swap

If this is correct, create the swap space:

  mkswap /dev/hda3

Verify that your /etc/fstab has the correct options for the swap space:
/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

Then try turning on swap again:

  swapon -a

* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com