Re: [SLUG] amount of allocated memory that's swapped out

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 11:16:26 EST

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Backward Thinker wrote:

> > It's real RAM, just not allocated until VMware needs it.
>
> Hrm, linux uses "extra" memory for stuff like page cache... I assumed W2K did the same, which would mean that W2K using "extra" memory for its own cache would require VMWare to malloc that much for the guest, or keep some on (hopefully fast) disk. Guess not.
>
> >> Does sar (or iostat) show spikes during these pauses?
>
> > vmstat shows activity in si (swap in), so (swap out), bi (blocks in)
> > and bo (blocks out) when I raise the Start menu, poke around a bit
> > there and run Solitaire. I guess the bi and bo is expected. A few
> > minutes later, I ran Word and there was no significant si/so
> > activity.
>
> How much is the si/so "activity"... < 10? < 20? < 50? Yes, some bi
> and bo activity is expected, but was the bi and bo unusually high during
> that period? Or CPU?

si/so is normally 0 (when the machine is idle). During menu manipulation,
it's... well, nothing happens now; the machine has been unused since I
checked it last. But from what I recall, 20-80 or so. Is that in units
of 4k pages/sec, or kB/s, or pages/(vmstat refresh period) or what?

Check this out:

http://24.94.123.66:81/graph.pnm

Looks like I can reduce VMware's memory allocation to about 500M (450 if I
can tolerate some swapping), and I need some more RAM. I think reducing
it will reduce VMware's misconception, thinking what is 'real' RAM is in
fact swapped out by the host. Instead, it would swap it out itself, and
_know_ that it is swapped out.

There's a cron job that runs at 5am that backs up one hard drive onto
another identical one (the second is spun down the rest of the time), so
it uses a lot of disk cache, although in this case the data won't be used
again.

--
The people don't want war, but it's always simple to drag the people along.
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.  All you