Re: [SLUG] Install fest at next Sarasota Meeting?

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 00:59:37 EDT

Hi Bill!

Thanks very much for your interest. Google on Mepis: Free at various
sites, but at 26.4 I could never get it anyway.

Do anyone have it, and if so, could you burn a copy to bring to the
meeting? Can get it shipped on CD for $15, cheap if it works, but expensive
if it doesn't. <http://www.mepis.org/book/view/527> Anybody using it?

<http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT4154778785.html> "MEPIS Linux is
based on Debian. MEPIS compares very well against Xandros. MEPIS is a live
CD that has the option of installing onto the hard drive. MEPIS allows you
to fully test out the system and then decide if you want to install it on
your unit or not. Some Linux distributions cause me to panic because I am
not sure that I am wiping out my other partitions or not. MEPIS is very
kind and gentle and does a very good job making sure it doesn't wipe out
your hard drive during the install."

At 10:33 PM 4/9/2004, you wrote: <snip>
>I just read a review that indicates Mepis is your distro of choice for
>getting the Winmodem going without command line work.
>
>Bill

Regards,

Pete