Re: [SLUG] Local Data Recovery -- !LINUX

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 00:08:42 EDT

On Thursday 06 May 2004 23:42, Brice Burgess wrote:
> A friend of mine (whom hasn't yet learned the virtue of data
> redundancy) has experienced a hard drive failure and is hoping to
> somehow recover the data from the drive. Perhaps someone from

Two "easy" ways to deal with recovery of data from a dead harddrive:

1) make sure it is the drive, put it into another system. Also try
to boot from a Linux or FreeBSD diskette/disc. A bit more than half
of hard drive failures I've seen were from drives that fail to work
as master on the first ide channel, but put as slave on the second
ide channel and with a boot diskette, the data is completely
recoverable. Knoppix is perfect for a rescue disc.

2) most of the other failures are due to dead disk electronics. Try
to swap out the disk's board with one from a matching known good
drive. It's not that hard, mostly a couple of torx screws to remove
and pull the board off. Then push the new board in and boot up with
a rescue diskette. I keep at least one hard drive of every model I
use just for this purpose. It really needs to be the exact same
brand and model drive, but some brands like Western Digital, you
can often use a somewhat higher model.

I've tried various disk recovery services, they've all been enormous
wastes of money and time. Avoid them, unless the data is truly
critical. But don't expect much recovered data for the price...