Re: {SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Linux learners box

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 10:12:38 EDT

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Robert Snyder wrote:

> Wrong..... Virtual PC 2004 will run linux and other *nix based OSes just
> fine MS just said that they would no long support them as a guest OS
> unlike connectix. I run slackware and gentoo and fedora just fine in
> virtual pc 2004 and actually it runs better than it did with connectix
> owned it. at least in my real world benchmarks.

You misread me. Microsoft will only support VPC 2004 with XP Pro or 2000
Pro as the host OS; I did not say it wouldn't run Linux (in fact, the only
OS that I could not get running in VPC was BeOS, because BeOS uses some
direct hardware calls that VPC can't handle). If you install VPC'04 under
Windows XP Home you will be shown a dialog box that states that while it
might run in XP Home, Microsoft will not support VPC'04 in that OS. I
know this because I attempted this myself (I have both VPC'04 and
Connectix VPC 5.2). As I type this I have my XP Pro box running a 128-MB
instance of Win2000 Pro and a separate 128-MB instance of Mandrake 10
simultaneously, with almost no slowdown (helps to have a gig of RAM
on board).

I installed VPC'04 on my home PC, and eventually became so frustrated with
the lack of speed that I went back to VPC 5.2. I had never had a problem
with VPC 5.2, but VPC'04 ran so slow compared to 5.2 that I switched back.
VPC'04 also dragged its feet creating disk images ... VPC'04 eliminated
the ability to create fixed disk images (you can now only make dynamic
images with a maximum capacity), and when I tried to create a simple 5 GB
one in VPC'04, two hours later it was still trying, while in VPC 5.2 it
made the image in about 10-15 minutes without complaint.

It is not uncommon for Microsoft to pick up a product and then mutilate it
so badly that the end-user would rather move up to the latest OS than try
to run it in what they've got. Case in point is Office 2003--if you have
anything earlier than Windows 2000 or XP, forget about being able to even
install it unless you're Bill Preece. ;-)

SWB