RE: [SLUG] {SPAM?} OT - Spilled Coffee on Laptop, help

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 22:20:05 EDT

>>My mom just spilled coffee on her laptop, so I need some suggestions on
cleaning.

When this sort of thing (or worse) happened to Nikon Cameras, here's the
drill we used.

1> Remove all batteries. Remove every accessory and cover you can.
2> Rinse in DISTILLED water. All other water has contaminants. The
distilled water will dissolve the contaminant. Gently pour the water, don't
spray it with any force. We dumped the rinse water in a glass jug so we
could see if it was clear. Rinse again and again, until the rinse water is
perfectly clean. Then rinse again. Maybe a few more times...
3> final rinse in mixture of 50% distilled water and 50% alcohol. Alcohol
is said to help it dry. Some folks do one more rinse in 100% isopropyl
alcohol to flush out all the water (prevent corrosion).
4> blow drying is not suggested. It forces water into places it wouldn't
otherwise go, and hot air is bad. Just let it air dry.

This advice may or may not apply to your computer. I'd get the hard drive
out before you try this. It has a breather hole and will certainly be hurt
if you dunk it.

Ken Elliott