[SLUG] Strange connectivity situation

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 21:15:24 EDT

I have a rather strange connectivity issue going on.

First off, from the cable modem (RoadRunner) i have a VoIP telephone
adapter connected, using address 192.168.15.1, then a Netgear router at
192.168.15.2, which does NAT to a desktop and laptop (192.168.0.2 and .3,
respectively). .3 is a server running mail and web service.

Here's the strange problem. I can go in from outside and reach ports 25
and 80 just fine. However, if I attempt from my desktop or laptop to
telnet to the server ports using the hostname or 24.x.x.x address, the
connection either times out or is flat-out refused.

Any ideas?

SWB