RE: [SLUG] Strange connectivity situation

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 22:24:23 EDT

>>First off, from the cable modem (RoadRunner) i have a VoIP telephone
adapter connected, using address 192.168.15.1

Ok, I'm confused... You wire from your cable modem to the VoIP adapter, then
to the router. But the address you give is non-routable, so that suggests
there is something between the cable modem that VoIP adapter.

>>a Netgear router at 192.168.15.2

Also non-routable

>>I can go in from outside and reach ports 25 and 80 just fine.

To what machine?

>>telnet to the server ports using the hostname or 24.x.x.x address

Huh? 24.x.x.x would be outside your address range.

I'm not smart enough to understand, so talk to me like I'm a 4 year
old...<grin>

You might have a router in there that is forwarding the ports to a known
address from the outside, but the machine might be outside your address
range.

Ken Elliott