Re: [SLUG] ntp, xntp help

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 21:36:10 EDT

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:51:23PM -0400, Ian Blenke wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> ><>
> >I'm not an expert, but what I do is this: I have a central machine that
> >pings the stratum 2 servers (NOT stratus 1). I just set up which time
> >server to check in the /etc/ntp.conf file. Then for other machines, I
> >run ntpdate once a day from a cron job to sync them all up to that
> >machine. They don't really need to be more accurate than that in my
> >case.
> >
> >My /etc/ntp.conf (on the server) looks like this (mostly):
> >
> >server clock1.unc.edu
> >
> >My /etc/cron.daily/timesync file (on client machines) looks like this:
> >
> >#!/bin/bash
> >
> >/usr/sbin/ntpdate rocky.mars.lan
> >/sbin/hwclock --systohc
> >
> >The last line syncs the hardware clock to the OS clock.
>
> This makes me shudder a bit. I'm sure Paul knows what he is doing though.

Why of course I do! ;-}

Like ntpd, ntpdate will also step or slew the time if it is too far out
of sync between the client and server. The difference between the two
machines in my case is no more than 4 secs on any day. I'm not overly
concerned about time distortions in any case; this isn't a web server or
anything like that. Just my personal desktop. If cron jobs fire off at
the wrong time, there's no harm done in my case. The main reason I ever
worried about the time in the first place was that I noticed on some of
my machines, the time would slip quite a bit over the course of months.
And I'd like to be able to check my watch against the computer time,
since that's the most accurate readily-available source of "accurate"
time for me.

However, as I said, I'm no expert. My rule of thumb: In technical
matters, always prefer Ian's advice to mine. In matters of pure opinion,
always prefer mine over his. ;-}

Paul