Re: [SLUG] Clustering

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 01:07:44 EDT

On Thursday 10 June 2004 12:56 pm, dhenao@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long time since I wrote down an email here. How is everybody doing.? I have
> a quick question for you. I am not really familiarized with a server
> environment, but I would like to get some input on how you will resolve
> this issue. I have two cobalt 550. They are redhat systems basically...
> They are exactly the same machines (hardware and software. I want to create
> a cluster between them, but I am also considering the fact that if my ISP
> goes down, no matter if I have a cluster, all my web sites will be down
> too. Therefore, I have one connection from Bright House and another from
> Verizon. Is there any possible way to have this two servers as a cluster.?
> I did some research on LVS, but I am still concern about how the DNS tables
> will be updated when the first server goes down and the second comes up
> with a different ip.

Well per my understanding you have two Brighthouse connections at your house.
Unless the Verizon one is DSL. They are just reselling Brighthouse network.

So if Brighthouse goes down, both of them are down.

It's much more efficient to pay say $8 per month for hosting and have more
than enough bandwidth (over 50G/mth). This is what I've been doing for the
last year. It's more fun to have it in house, but often not very cost
effective.

If you want to do dns load balancing, hehe, it's going to get a lot worse.
The DNS server can do f. ex. roundrobin with traffic but you need to be able
to configure it as it does not normally work this way. To have high
availability you need to either have a connection that is dedicated between
those two so that if the network card goes down you can still notify the
other. Or you have another server that monitors them.

Now ISP's seldom goes down. Anyone worth his salt have multiple different
connections. Your problem is more likely to be a router that gets hit by a
surge and or dies for some reason, than you ISP going down.

What do you really want to accomplish? What functions/services?

> Some questions:
>
> 1. Both connections and servers are in the same location.
> 2. Will dns update the tables knowing that the main server has a different
> ip.? 3. Will all the services based on DNS as mail and web be running in
> the new machine with the ip numbers incorrectly.? 4. How big ISPs have 0
> down.? Do they have different internet providers.?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> DIego

- --
Steve