Re: [SLUG] [OT] Now Mc & Mac Was Re: Haiku

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 16:15:37 EDT

Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> Now we just need an O', perhaps an O'Brien. Or an O'Reilly

That should be O'Logan, actually, to continue the trend. Then we'd have an ap Logan and a Logansen.

> and the ever popular -son suffix, introduced by the vikings and/or
> normans...

No self-respecting Viking would spell it -son. It's -sen, son.

> And Russians have a special "father's name" separate from the lastname.
> Someone with the name Alexandr, his children will be (firstname)
> Alexandrovich (lastname)...

For a son it would be Alexandrovich or Alexadrov, and for a daughter it would be Alexandrovna or Alexandrova. I'm not entirely clear on why there's two sets for each gender.

> hehe, I remember how I read that Linus' grandfather basically invented the
> last name "Torvalds"... his grandfather was "Torvald Torvalds".

I'd never heard that. What an odd circumstance.