Re: [SLUG] [OT] Now Mc & Mac Was Re: Haiku

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 18:16:24 EDT

Spake Chad Perrin on Saturday, June 12, 2004 at 04:15PM -0400:
> Dylan William Hardison wrote:
>

> >Now we just need an O', perhaps an O'Brien. Or an O'Reilly
>
> That should be O'Logan, actually, to continue the trend. Then we'd have an
> ap Logan and a Logansen.
>

> >and the ever popular -son suffix, introduced by the vikings and/or
> >normans...
>
> No self-respecting Viking would spell it -son. It's -sen, son.

Well, depends on where it is from. -sen is Danish or Dutch (Dutch
also has -dochter, though -sen is usually used for both genders).

The ending -son is Icelandic (and Icelandic also has -dóttir).
Some say Icelandic is closer to old norse then any of the other
Scandinavian languages, in that it has changed the least.

Norwegians names can have either -sen or -son (e.g. petersen or peterson),
according to my norwegian friend.

> >And Russians have a special "father's name" separate from the lastname.
> >Someone with the name Alexandr, his children will be (firstname)
> >Alexandrovich (lastname)...
>
> For a son it would be Alexandrovich or Alexadrov, and for a daughter it
> would be Alexandrovna or Alexandrova. I'm not entirely clear on why
> there's two sets for each gender.
Ya, there's that. I was going for the simple example.

Also you use the patronym if you're refering to a friend,
unless you're using a diminutive of their name (or so I'm told).

--
"What terrible way to die."
"There are no good ways."